- Lipid organisation in stratum corneum: Biophysical methods (X-ray diffraction, electron diffraction, Infrared spectroscopy and confocal Raman spectroscopy) and electron microscopy are employed to provide information on the lipid organization and lipid composition in vitro and in vivo in humans
- Design of novel formulations to repair the skin barrier
- Microneedles and nanoparticles as delivery systems for drugs and vaccines
- Optimising culture conditions of a reconstructed skin model
- The assessment of skin barrier properties in diseased skin, particular focusing on atopic eczema. In this topic we focus on the lipid composition using massaspectrometry and biophysical techniques. However, we are also able to measure the natural moisturizing factor and water levels.
- S.M. Bal, A.C. Kruithof, R. Zwier, E. Dietz, J.A. Bouwstra, J. Lademann and M.C. Meinke.
Influence of microneedle shape on the transport of a fluorescent dye into human skin in vivo.
J Contr Rel.147 (2010) 218-24
- V.S. Thakoersing, M. Ponec and J.A. Bouwstra.
Generation of human skin equivalents under submerged conditions-mimicking the in utero environment.
Tissue Eng Part A. 16 (2010) 1433-41
- D. Groen. G.S. Gooris and J.A. Bouwstra.
New insights into the stratum corneum lipid organization by x-ray diffraction analysis.
Biophys J. 97 (2009) 2242-2249
- Z. Ding, E. van Riet, S. Romeijn, G. Kersten, W. Jiskoot and J.A. Bouwstra.
Immune modulation by adjuvants combined with diphtheria toxoid administered topically in mice after microneedle array pretreatment.
Pharm Res 7 (2009) 1635-1643
- M. Janssens, G.S. Gooris and J.A. Bouwstra.
Infrared spectroscopy studies of mixtures prepared with synthetic ceramides varying in head group architecture: coexistence of liquid and crystalline phases.
Biochim. Biophys. Acta Biomembrames 1788 (2009) 732-742
- J. Caussin, G.S. Gooris and J.A. Bouwstra.
FTIR studies show lipophilic moisturizers to interact with stratum corneum lipids, rendering the more densely packed.
Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembranes 1778 (2008) 1517-1524
- F.J. Verbaan, S.M. Bal , D.J. van den Berg, J.A. Dijksman, M. van Hecke, H. Verpoorten, A. van den Berg, R. Luttge and J.A. Bouwstra.
Improved piercing of microneedle arrays in dermatomed human skin by an impact insertion method.
J Control Rel 128 (2008) 80-88
- J.A. Bouwstra, H.W.W. Groenink, J.A. Kempenaar, S. Romeijn and M. Ponec.
The water distribution and natural moisturizer factor in human skin equivalents grown at various relative humidities.
J Invest Dermatol 128 (2008) 378-388
- R. Rissmann, H.W.W. Groenink, G.S. Gooris, M.H.M. Oudshoorn, W.E. Hennink, M. Ponec and J.A. Bouwstra.
Temperature-induced changes in structural and physicochemical properties of vernix caseosa.
J Invest Dermatol 128 (2008) 292-299
- G.S. Gooris and J.A. Bouwstra.
Infrared spectroscopic study of stratum corneum model membranes prepared from human ceramides, cholesterol and fatty acids.
Biophysical J., 92 (2007) 8: 2785-2795
- J.A. Bouwstra and M. Ponec.
The skin barrier in healthy and diseased state.
Biochim Biophys Acta 1758 (2006) 2080-2095
last update: 2010, October